Monday, March 23, 2015

Race Report: Publix Georgia Half Marathon

so I know this blog has been completely dead for awhile but I am going to try to resurrect it starting now. I've got big running plans for 2015 and especially early 2016. I'll make another post about that later on down the line but for now I would like to focus on my just completed second major race of 2015 ... The Publix Georgia Half Marathon.

so I was a good portion of the way through writing this and somehow magically deleted it so I'm going to streamline and just focus on the race itself as I really don't want to type all that over again 8(
so here goes nothing...


I had a goal in mind for this race of beating my first half marathon time which was 2:16.35 and even though it was a rainy morning and my training hadn't gone exactly how I wanted it to (my last two long runs were especially dreadful) I still felt pretty good most of my training runs had been at a faster pace than what I had been running previously so as long as I could stay consistent I should be ok. I realized at the start line that I was perfectly placed just in front of the 2:15 pace group so as long as I didn't see that sign run past me I knew I was on pace to PR. This race started and finished at Centennial Olympic Park right in the heart of downtown Atlanta so the early portion of the race was right in the city but luckily the roads were wide and I never felt overly crowded on the course. I was feeling pretty good as I set out and fairly early on (within the first mile or two if I remember right) I had virtually caught up to the 2:10 pace group I decided to just shadow them for as long as I could and then drop back if I needed to later on. The highlights of the early part of the course came around mile 2 where we first passed over I75 with a nice view of the Atlanta skyline (maybe people stopped to take selfies here but I wasn't one of them) then we passed a Publix (who just so happens to be the title sponsor) they had a band out there and there were quite a few people brave enough to stand in the rain and cheer for random strangers I also spied the store manager out there clapping with no umbrella. The water/PowerAde stations along the entire course were well stocked and well staffed they were spaced around every mile and a half or so but I had also worn my hydration belt as I like to try and take on water at least every mile. Mile 2.5 to 4 was a decent hill but I was still feeling really good at this point and was holding my spot shortly behind the 2:10 pacers we also passed by the MLK Jr historical sight just before mile 4. As we headed toward mile 5 we entered the Little Five Points area of Atlanta which is a funky little area of town that I had never been in before with some quirky little shops and clubs. I must say that there really was spectator support through out most of the course and even though none of those people were there specifically for me seeing them there gave me a boost I also took my first Gu Gel at mile 5 (I had brought 2 with me so I figured I would take 1 at mile 5 and the other at mile 10) I think it was between mile 5 and 6 that the Chic Fil A cows were out which gave me laugh for no apparent reason. Just before Mile 7 was a bonus water stop that also had jelly beans that I took advantage of as we hit mile 7 the half marathon course split from the full marathoners maybe next year ill be heading left instead of right but this year right it was. Miles 7 and 8 were in the Virginia Highlands area which I believe is one of the older Atlanta neighborhoods there were a few people out on their porches cheering and it was also in this stretch that I had my second laugh out loud moment as there was a person handing out cans of beer if anyone so desired (I didn't but thought it was funny none the less). It was also at mile 8 that I spied a bank of port a potties with no line I decided to go ahead and make a pit stop even though I didn't NEED to I figured I would before the end of the race so this seemed as good as time as any. after my stop I quickly caught back up to the 2:10 pacers and was surprised at how well I was feeling despite the fact that I was maybe pushing harder than I should. At mile 9 I saw my favorite sign of the race, there was a group of maybe late 20something ladies who seemed to be having to much fun and they had a sign that said "You've ran 9 miles, We've drank 9 Mimosa's" thanks for the laugh and the boost ladies. after that we entered into Piedmont Park, this portion also featured a pretty brutal hill, miles 7-9 were a gradual downhill but 9-10.5 went right back up and it did effect me a bit but I took my second Gu Gel and some PowerAde and powered through it. I had been alternating between taking PowerAde and Water at the aid stations and I think I took both at the stop after that hill. It was also during that hill that I left the 2:10 pacers not by slowing down like I thought would happen but by passing them...what was I doing? at Mile 11 we were in the Georgia Tech campus along fraternity/sorority row there was one blasting the rocky theme which I thought was a nice touch. Mile 11 also featured the second bonus aid station with oranges but I passed on these, something about trying to suck on an orange whilst running didn't appeal to me. we made a couple left turns and hit mile 12 and onto Marietta street (the street which we had begun the race on) this felt like the longest mile of the course probably because I think I was finally feeling the effects of pushing myself at pretty much max level for the entire course but I wasn't going to let that stop me and I powered on home and one last left turn into the finish line I looked up at the clock as I crossed and I think it read something like 2:10ish, I was shocked I knew my race hadn't started when the clock had which guaranteed that my chip time would be better than 2:10 I was totally stoked I really didn't think I would run that well. I walked through the finish area got a bottle of water and my oh so awesome medal. They were also handing out those hand space blankets which I tried to wrap around my shoulders to at least keep anymore rain off me this effort failed and I dropped it several times so then it was just as wet as I was so I gave up on it and tossed it. I got my food bag from the tent and also got some chocolate milk that really hit the spot for me I didn't really look in my food bag as I wasn't really hungry and the milk was doing the job for me. I next hit up the results tent and got my official chip time .......drumroll........2:07 flat!!!! I really couldn't have been any happier my goal for this year is to hopefully get under 2 hours and this result really gave me confidence that I might actually make that happen. I then made my way over to the finish area to wait on my friend to finish and shortly after I got there the leader of the Marathon was on his way in he finished around 2:35 which is just crazy to me but so awesome. after watching my friend finish we met up towards the finishers area and got her goodie bag and tried to make our way back to our car which took some figuring out but we eventually made it and race day was officially over. I really enjoyed this course as I saw parts of the city that I don't normally get to see and despite the hills I ran really well. I would def. like to do this race again next year although depending on how my first marathon goes I may aim to go for the full next time!!
obligatory medal selfie



So there you go hope you enjoyed this rambling synopsis and hopefully this is the start of more regular posts from me.  I have races lined up throughout the rest of this year and I will try to also post training blogs from time to time as well. hope you enjoy and happy running!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment