Sunday, May 3, 2015

Race Report -- The Fiesta 15k

So I realize that I completely dropped the ball and never did a Race Report after the Peach Jam Half, but honestly because of the way the course was there was not a lot to report on. It took place on the forsyth county section of the Big Creek Greenway so there wasn't really a lot of places for crowd support, but it finished on the track at the park and there were quite a few people there cheering us home, it was super flat and super fast and carried me to a new PR at 2:04:09. I'm getting ever closer to breaking the 2 hour mark. So now on to my latest race the Fiesta 15k ...


Ill be honest my training has been lacking lately due to a couple reasons number one was that my knee had been giving me some trouble, nothing that I couldn't deal with but mostly just some discomfort while running, It was bothering during the peach jam so I decided to rest the week after that race and while it didn't go away it seemed to lessen a bit  so I eased myself back into my regular weekly runs and also opted to switch my shoes to the pair I had bought back in January and set aside. Most people seem to think that shoes can last anywhere from 200-500 miles depending on how hard you are on them I am a pretty heavy foot striker so mine seem to last on the low end of that scale. I thought that might be partially contributing to the knee as the pair I was wearing had over 300 miles on them so I swapped out.


New Kicks
Issue number two was I had kind of lost my mojo, I cant point to anything in particular, I still enjoyed running but I was finding more excuses not to do it rather than just getting out the door and doing it. But I think I had my breakthrough moment earlier this week....registration day for the Walt Disney World Marathon arrived and I am now officially going to run a marathon, nothing like that little task to get you back into running mode. So anyway back to the Fiesta 15k...


of course they would come out with this shirt to get me to spend more money


So as I said I wasn't feeling great leading into race day but I was going to go out there and give it my best, I usually try to arrive fairly early to races whenever possible I just find it easier that way so I arrived about an hour prior to the start, got my bib and goodie bag, hit up the restroom (a must before any race) and sat in my car for a bit (it was actually a little chilly so the extra warmth helped) I got my bib pinned on got myself ready  to go and headed to start area about 10 mins prior to start time. Now I am not nor will I ever be a super fast runner, I would consider myself slightly above average so I try to position myself accordingly (towards the front but not right up front) I found a spot and staked my claim as we waited. I tried to loosen up a little by bouncing in place and soon enough it was time to go. This race started and finished at a conference center that was part of Lanier Technical College so it started off with a loop around the parking lot and then out onto the roads. The one thing that really stuck out about the earlier portion of the race was HILLS....man there were a lot of hills but we were running through some really nice neighborhoods and there were plenty of cops directing traffic where it was needed, I am always glad when I see cops out there directing traffic and keeping us runners safe and I try to always make it a point to thank them as I run by. I wasn't sure how the water stops were aligned on these course (either they weren't on the course map I looked at or I didn't pay attention) but I had brought my amphipod water belt just to be safe and boy am I glad I did as the water stops were few and far between in fact there may have only been one official one that we actually passed 3 times. First time was at about 2.5 miles then again at 6.5 and last time at 7.5, for me that definitely wouldn't have been enough so thank goodness for my belt. There was someone in one of the neighborhoods handing out little water bottles at around mile 4.5 but I passed since I knew there would be people who needed it more than me. The last thing about the course that I wasn't a big fan of was the turn-arounds, on four separate occasions we would go down a street turn around and come back up not my favorite thing in the world. I understand that some of it is unavoidable they have to make the best course with what they have available but I would have like to have seen some different scenery. All that being said I would do this race again mostly because it goes to such a great cause. ALS is a terrible disease and anything we can do to hopefully find a cure is definitely needed. As I came into the finish I realized I was going to set a new 15K PR and there is no better feeling than that when running.

Look I'm even smiling







After finishing I grabbed some water and tried to look at the official results but mine hadn't posted yet. I chatted with a lady who had run with me for almost the entire race as we waited to see if our results posted and she waited for her friend to finish. after she left and still not seeing my results on the screen they had I looked over at the side of the tent to see the age group results posted I looked at my group and was shocked to see my name in second place (it helps when there are only 4 of you but ill still take it) official time of 1:25:57! So another race is in the books and despite some mixed feelings leading up to it I think my mojo is back and I'm ready for the next challenge which will be my first Run-cation  as we head to Ohio for the Cedar Point Run and Ride Half. I will try and get a post up at least once a week from now on for those of you who may still be reading this 8)
age group swag








No comments:

Post a Comment